March 25, 2008

Wasau paper and Di's sketch

I was looking for some white CS as my OMS technique wasn't working too well on what I'd and since it was near its end I'd to anyway get some new one. So I'd been reading the discussions on SCS to get people's opinion on which one was a good and reasonable choice. A good majority was in favor of Neenah's Classic Crest (Avalanche White)80 lb paper. So I went to Kelly's paper in my area to get that ream. Since I was there I asked them if there was any paper that was similar to this but cheaper. He showed me this: Wasau Exact Index paper 140 lb, 92 brightness. Since I don't know much about papers it was hard to tell the difference and he was kind enough to offer me samples of both so that I could use and then decide. I used the wasau paper and I must say that it's great!

  • It's 140 lb index weight so that's 93 lb cover weight (for conversion from index weight to cover weight check here), that means it's heavier than the 80 lb cover paper.
  • It's half the price of Neenah paper. $12.33 for a ream of 250.
  • The OMS blending technique works really well, it's nice and smooth so the color simply glides. It was then that I realized how much difference the paper makes.

Of course, I'm not saying it's equivalent to Neenah but it's definitely a good compromise. I'm yet to try the Neenah paper and I'll post my review on that too. I must put in a good word for Kelly's Paper, the paper supply store, as they were nice enough to give me free samples and hence enabled me to make an educated choice.

Here's my card using the Wasau paper. It's based on Di's March Sketch #3. I used rectangles instead of circles as I'm waiting for my nestabilities.

  • White CS: Wasau
  • Colored CS and PP: DCWV
  • Stamp: SU! Just for fun
  • Prismacolor pencils, OMS and blending stumps.

3 comments:

Pearl said...

Such a fab fab background you created for the card ! love the colors !

My Paper World said...

It's gorgeous! I LOVE the cute cupcake! xx

Spot-On said...

love that stamp and coloring! Perfect for the color scheme in the pp! TFS!