October 6, 2014

Nexus 7 tablet case with stand

DSC_0058

I saw this tablet case and wanted to make it for my hubby’s nexus 7 tablet. I really like how it turned out and how simple it was to make. I’d to adjust the dimensions from the original tutorial but once I did that, it took me not more than 2 hours from start to finish!

DSC_0056

How cool it looks all closed up!

DSC_0057

Here’s a side view to show how thick it is.

Apart from the dimensions, I made a few other changes from the original instructions. On the inner fabric (that would be in contact with the tablet) I added fusible fleece to give the tablet some cushion. Also of the 4 chipboard pieces specified I only used 3 of them. I skipped the one on the fold (the fold on the other side of the elastic). You can see in the photo above where I skipped the chipboard. One of the reasons why I skipped it was I was falling short on the fabric – if I was going to put that chipboard in there wouldn’t be much fabric left for closing the other end. I guess it was because I added some fleece. So it might be a good idea to increase the length of the fabric if you’re going to put in some kind of cushioning.

The fabric dimensions can be calculated as follows:

  1. The width of the fabric = 1” + the longer side of the tablet
  2. For piece 1, the length is approximately 3 X the shorter side of the tablet
  3. For piece 2, the length is 2 X (shorter side of the tablet) + 0.5”
  4. For piece 3, the length is shorter side of the tablet+ 0.5”

For nexus 7 here are the dimensions of the fabric:

  • Piece #1: 9” X 14”
  • Piece #2: 9” X 9.5”
  • Piece #3: 9” X 5”

The chipboard dimensions can be calculated as follows:

  1. Width of the fabric  = longer side of the tablet + 0.5”
  2. Piece 1, length = shorter side of the tablet
  3. Piece 2, 0.5”
  4. Piece 3, length = shorter side of the tablet + 0.25”
  5. Piece 5, length = (shorter side of the tablet ) / 2

For nexus 7 here are the chipboard dimensions:

  • 1 – 8.5” X 4.5”
  • 2 – 8.5” X 0.5”
  • 1 – 8.5” X 4.75”
  • 1 – 8.5” X 2.25”

No comments: