March 9, 2018

Dining room vinyl wall art

28437409089_9deedf0bc3_o

For a long time our dining room wall was sans any decor because we had removed the old ones and hadn’t had the time to make anything new. I’d sold my Zing and was still waiting to get the Portrait. Once I had it, I ran into some hiccups. That meant a few calls to the customer support. The issue is still not resolved yet – the autoblade doesn’t work – but I can at least use it as a ratchet blade.

I’m so pleased with this vinyl art – not only did I cut it myself using a silhouette but I also designed it myself! Actually, I had full intention to buy a design so I started searching and I found this beautiful saying; but the design was very simple. Then I came across this etsy shop and they had such beautiful vinyl wall art. However,  they didn’t have a saying that I liked. So I thought why not try to create one on my own. With some dingbat searches and using the Silhouette Studio I was able to design this.

Cutting was another challenge because as you can see it’s much wider than what Portrait can cut. I searched for some instructions online to see how I could cut designs like these. The main take away was to cut the design into multiple parts using a knife and most importantly, use the shift key when using the knife so that you get a straight line. This is very important – I learnt it the hard way so learn it from me Smile Following the instructions I cut the design horizontally into around 7-8” wide sections. Then cut out each section using the vinyl roll (and not the mat).

After cutting, putting it together on the wall took me around 2 hours or so because I had to make sure everything aligned well and that the wordings were straight. So glad that I got a clear grid transfer sheet. Can you believe it that grateful was cut right in the middle???? It was so difficult to align all those thin curves together! I’m glad it looks fine now! I bought my vinyl and transfer sheet from expressions vinyl.

No comments: